Monday, November 12, 2007

Body of Christ

I will admit that most people figure this out a lot earlier in their walk with Christ, but I'm just now seeing the beauty in the differences among the people that make up the Church. It used to drive my crazy ( and I'm sorry to say at times still does) when people didn't see things the way I saw them or didn't do things the way that I would have done them. However, slowly but surely, I'm beginning to see the wonder of God's plan to make us all unique. Not that I've ever wanted everyone to be just like me, but only now am I beginning to see that our differences are not an obstacle for me to try to get over. This is especially true in church work. For years I've battled against personalities, instead of embracing them. God is just so much smarter than me.

I'm glad our church at Arch, and the Body around the world includes: those who are stubborn, those who are patient, those who joke around, those who take it serious, those who can play music with what seems to be no effort at all, those who can't sing on key to save their life, those who move fast, those who move slow, those with dreams, and those with contentment.

The Church just wouldn't be the church without everyone, including you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW... I never thought I would leave a comment on a blog - since I've never even seen one before, but I have to say that your comments on accepting differences makes me feel more accepted in this church. I have felt avoided by you and some of the younger people. I hoped it was generational - but I really feared that I didn't fit in. Thank you for this memo - I needed it very much.

Anonymous said...

I have gas. Really BAD gas. Do I fit in, too? Am I a part of the supposed body? I guess so. The stinky part.

I, too, never thought I'd be published online. Your sermon touched my heart and my soul. Keep it up; I'm glad you're here at Arch.

Cody Brown said...

Just to reply to the first comment, I'm sorry if anyone feels avoided by me at our church. This is never my intention, and definitely not what I want someone to experience at Arch. Sometimes this happens due to my more reserved personality, or the reserved personality of a church member, and sometimes it's just the nature of one person trying to be a pastor for 40 other individuals. I'm glad you shared your feelings and comments, and I would love for you to send me an email sharing more (codyhbrown@yahoo.com) and also so I can know personally who you are. It's hard for me to understand the full situation when I'm not sure who is feeling left out. However, I do want you to feel free to leave anonymous comments, and if you don't feel like telling me who you are, that's okay. I appreciate you sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry.. I meant to imply that I was wrong to feel this way - that I needed to hear that everyone does fit in... I should have said that out loud.. I didn't mean to cause hurt.. Signing off..