Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Everest

Over the last year, I have watched several different t.v. shows on the subject of climbing Mt. Everest. It has been amazing to see how much time, money, and effort it takes to take on the world's tallest mountain. Watching the stories of those who have made it to the top and the stories of those who have died on the mountain, I've been more impressed with those who have almost made it. I was watching a documentary today on Everest, and one of the climbers had to give up and turn around less than 250ft. from the summitt. Two hundred and fifty feet, that's less than a trot around the bases at a major league ball park, but on Everest it is hours worth of climbing. I wondered what that must feel like, to be so close to fulfilling a dream and then watch it slip away. If he hadn't turned around, he would have most likely met the fate of many on that mountain, death. Yet, I'm sure it was probably one of the toughest choices he has ever had to make.

It got me to thinking about my life and following Christ. If I was that close to one of my dreams, but God asked me to walk away from it, would I? Would I really give up anything for Him? Would I save my life by losing it?

What are your dreams and goals? If you were "250ft" away from reaching those dreams, would you be willing to give them up to follow Jesus down the narrow road. I guess I'm so impressed with the climbers that almost make it but turn back, because it takes the ability to give up themselves. Ultimately that's what we must do to follow Christ, give up ourselves.

No comments: